Sennaya Square or Sennaya Ploshchad, in Russian: Сeннáя Плóщадь, in English: Hay Square
In Central Saint Petersburg, at the crossing of Sadovaya Street, Moskovsky Prospekt, and Grivtsova Lane.
The hay square was established in 1737 as a market where hay, firewood and cattle were sold. It was the cheapest and the most active market in Saint Petersburg where everyone could come and trade their wares.
In 1753 local merchants commissioned the building of the Church of the Assumption of the Mother of God in an imposing Baroque style. The surrounding district was known for its infamous slums, which provide the setting for Dostoevsky’s novel “Crime and Punishment.” Now it is a very desirable area.
The Orthodox Cathedral dominated the square in 1943, however, it was demolished In 1961, at the height of Nikita Khrushchev’s anti-religious campaign, to make way for the new metro station Sennaya. A chapel, in lower photo, now marks the site..
Three metro stations serve the square; Sennaya Ploshchad, Sadovaya and Spasskaya. It is also a bus and marshrutka station. It used to have regular railroad track tram transportation as well.
We have convenient rooms to rent with a great view on Sennaya Square https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/29052797?