Author Topic: Maslenitsa is an ancient Russian holiday  (Read 8335 times)

mariann

• Administrator
  • I can do anything!
    • Email
Maslenitsa is an ancient Russian holiday
« on: February 03, 2010, 05:40:20 AM »
[b]Maslenitsa is known as pancake week [/b](in Russian - blini)

Maslenitsa is one of the most loved and enjoyable holiday celebrations in Russia.
Maslenitsa is an ancient holiday that dates back to pagan times.
Maskenitsa symbolizes the end of winter and the coming warmth of spring.
Maslenitsa is always celebrated the week before the Great Lent (a 7 weeks lent that ends on Easter), since the baptism of Russia  people always celebrate it.

There are usually fairs and feasts in the open air with rides, songs and pancakes(blini). Every day of the week has some tradition associated with it. For instance, [i]Thursday[/i] is traditionally the most merry of the celebrations with national games and dancing. It is known as [i]Shirokiy Chetvertok [/i] (wide Thursday). [i]Friday[/i] is [i]Tioschiny Vechyorki [/i] (mother-in-law's evening). It is customary for the husband to invite one's in-laws for a meal that day.

The last Sunday of the Maslenitsa week is Forgiveness Sunday. People ask each other to forgive them and get the reply "Bog prostit" (God will forgive). It is a day of cleansing before the Great Lent.
On the last day of Maslenitsa it is customary to burn a jackstraw that symbolizes winter and is also called Maslenitsa. Thus winter ends and spring begins. Weekend celebrations are also called Shirokaya Maslenitsa. Government allow to burn a jackstraw in the public parks as for the event.

The main heroes of Maslenitsa are pancakes(blini). Even during Soviet times when festivities on Maslenitsa were not allowed, a lot of people celebrated simply by making pancakes (blini). Blini can be eaten with various fillings: soured cream, butter, jam, honey, salmon, caviar, etc.
[b]This year 2010 Maslenitsa [/b] will take place [b]on 8 to 14th of February[/b]. Throughout the week it will be possible to eat blini, drink tea on Vasilyevsky Spusk by the Red Square. The celebrations there will start on February, 8 th at 5 pm and will last until February, 14 th, 10 pm. Pankakes with soured cream, honey and hot drinks will be given out for free. Guests will be able to try their hand at the national crafts like pottery.
On the weekend Russian pop stars will perform on Vasilyevsky Spusk. On Sunday a march from Triumfalnaya Square to Vasilyevsky Spusk will start at 2 pm. Entertainments will be provided by drummers, orchestra, dressed up artists on stilts, acrobats and others.
There will also be fairs and various events in Ismailov Kremlin, VDNH, Sokolniki, Kolomenskoe, Tsaritsino, Gorky Central Park of Culture and Leisure and others. The events usually include fairs, circus artists, music, and of course lots of pancakes(blini).

The celebrations in Kuzminki Park in the South-East Moscow will also be devoted to the Winter Olympics in Vancouver. For example, one of the games at the fair will be called "Blinatlon", where the aim will be to eat five pancakes faster than the opponents.

However, this year there will be no burning of Maslenitsa on Vasilyevsky Spusk. The Moscow authorities prohibited it for fire safety reasons. They also argue that kids will be scared by the big fire. Instead Maslenitsa will be made of ice and will be covered with flowers to symbolize the beginning of spring.

Moscow authorities aim to turn Maslenitsa in an internationally famous event that will attract thousands of tourists much like the carnival in Rio de Janeiro. Maslenitsa is also celebrated by the Russian communities in London and Dublin. This year it will also be celebrated in Paris as part of the Year of Russia in France.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:00:23 AM by Sennaya »

Mariria

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Maslenitsa is an ancient holiday
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2010, 07:28:27 AM »
So, No more burning of Jackstraw/winter in Moscow.
No more holding on the traditions of the ancient time.

Spring!!! Where are you???
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 07:30:37 AM by Mariria »

HowardDikinson

• Email
« Reply #2 on: October 28, 2010, 12:18:21 PM »
Maslenitsa is a  great event and a kind of big feast and fiesta. This kind of gathering and congregation is very beautiful and attractive with all the beautiful. This is really a great fun and entertaining event for great dining and enjoyment for sure.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2012, 08:41:36 PM by Admiral_Kolchak »

jill52nabi

« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2011, 03:34:13 PM »
Nice post!!! and loved the event Maslenitsa. Attended the event many a times.

Sennaya

• Administrator
    • Email
Maslenitsa 2012 Feb. 20 in Russia
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2012, 10:48:38 AM »
Happy Maslenitsa,  Shrovetide, Butter Week, Mardi Gra, Carnival or Pancake Week! In Russia it is time to celebrate the decline of winter, have bonfires and eat lots of blini!
20th February - 26th of February, 2012

[youtube]MLckdrwt2mA[/youtube]

Join the festivities in these photos and music!

« Last Edit: February 21, 2012, 11:05:55 AM by Sennaya »

Sennaya

• Administrator
    • Email
Сибирский цирюльник (The Barber of Siberia)
Maslenitsa is highlighted in the movie as a key point in the story that occurs during the celebration.

[youtube]ycijDbz_S2M[/youtube]

Sennaya

• Administrator
    • Email
Maslenitsa 2013, March 11-17th
« Reply #6 on: March 12, 2013, 07:22:56 AM »
Maslenitsa - масленица comes from maslo - масло -- oil or butter. It marks the end of Winter and the anticipation of spring. The holidays are celebrated from March 11 through March 17 in 2013.
Be sure to eat lots of blini - Russian pancakes wrapped around your favorite fillings. Imagine blini as the round warm sun and feel Spring is coming!
If you can't find blini, makes some crepes or even American pancakes and feel warm and happy!
« Last Edit: March 12, 2013, 07:24:48 AM by Sennaya »

ElizabethSamantha

Re: Maslenitsa is an ancient Russian holiday
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 08:53:26 AM »
Russia is widely known for their rich legacy and dynamic local cuisine.
It is totally remarkable and adorable.. 

« Last Edit: September 04, 2013, 06:32:53 AM by Sennaya »