Sennaya.com | Forum | Facebook | Twitter |  

Author Topic: Traditional Russian nesting Dolls, matryoshka, Seek Bailout  (Read 2447 times)

Mariria

• Administrator
    • Email
In Russia, the traditional nesting doll, known as the matryoshka, is getting a bailout.

Like vodka, caviar and onion domes, the rosy-cheeked, often partly hand-painted dolls within dolls are a symbol of everything Russian. And they are broke.

Matryoshka makers claim sales are down as much as 90 percent as Russia continues to be ravaged by the global economic crisis.

Svetlana Pankova runs the Sergiyev Pozad toy factory, located in the scenic old monastery town of Sergiyev Posad, the heart of Russia's matryoshka industry.

She explained that with tourism on the wane and domestic consumption in the dumps, the storage room at the factory is now filled with matryoshkas that they can't sell.

http://abcnews.go.com/GMA/Weekend/story?id=8001625&page=1

Sennaya

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Traditional Russian nesting Dolls, matryoshka, Seek Bailout
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2009, 04:33:18 PM »
It is such a tradition for tourists to get a set of matryoshka dolls. They come in every design, even NFL football players and the Simpsons. But not many are high quality painting worthy of high prices.
It is the law of supply and demand. Just lower the price and they will sell.
There is a high end fine art doll just like lacquer boxes, and a low end.  I hope the simple ones become more affordable, I'd like some myself!

Sennaya.com | Forum