Sennaya.com | Forum | Facebook | Twitter |

Author Topic: Russian math genius wins $1M award  (Read 1715 times)

Mariria

• Administrator
    • Email
Russian math genius wins $1M award
« on: April 29, 2010, 07:28:51 AM »
Russian math genius may reject $1M award.

Maybe a 43-year-old unemployed bachelor who lives with his elderly mother in Russia and who won $1 million US for solving a problem that has stumped mathematicians for a century.
Grigory Perelman can't decide if he wants the money.
"He said he would need to think about it," said James Carlson, who telephoned Perelman with the news he had won the Millennium Prize awarded by the Clay Mathematics Institute of Cambridge, Mass.
Carlson said he wasn't too surprised by the apparent lack of interest from Perelman, a reclusive genius who has a history of refusing big prizes.

In 2006, Perelman made headlines when he stayed away from the ceremony in Madrid where he was supposed to get a Fields Medal, often called the Nobel Prize of mathematics. He remained at home in St. Petersburg instead.

"As far as I know, after there was so much media attention he did not want to be a public person and to look like an animal in the zoo," Rukshin said.

Mathematicians will gather in Paris in June to celebrate Perelman's achievement and put on some kind of ceremony whether he's there or not.

Does Carlson care whether Perelman shows up?

"It would be nice," Carlson said. "But on the other hand, I respect his desire for calm and tranquillity."

I hope he will do many more nice things and resolve all the centuries problems.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2010, 10:00:35 PM by Sennaya »

Sennaya

• Administrator
    • Email
Re: Russian math genius wins $1M award
« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2010, 01:05:56 AM »
Well, I hope he accepts the award. He can help his mom and get some new clothes and then give the rest to Sennaya.com to help children in Russia! Maybe he is worried if he shows up in the US Oprah will try and give him  a makeover!

Sennaya.com | Forum