Sennaya.com | Forum | Facebook | Twitter |  

Author Topic: “Russia-love” or “Travels in Siberia”.  (Read 2283 times)

Mariria

• Administrator
    • Email
“Russia-love” or “Travels in Siberia”.
« on: November 26, 2010, 12:43:36 AM »
Ian Frazier’s latest book, “Travels in Siberia” take you straight into this chronicle of the author’s 17-year quest of exploring areas of Russia most fear to trek. Frazier is downright smitten with what he calls “Russia-love.”
The author of nine books including the travelogues “On the Rez” and “Great Plains,” Frazier has a passion for Russia that’s been building since he was a boy in Ohio.

It's just great to say: Frasier described his all-encompassing passion: “I have it for the place geographically, its history, architecture, its people. I’ve been told it is surprising that I love Russia so much because I complain about it all the time, but just because you complain doesn’t mean you don’t love.”

Travels in Siberia
Wow, I am amazed.
Great job! Well done!

Please, tell us your opinion about the book.
Thank you

read more about it: story with wry humor

Travels in Siberia

« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 01:25:50 AM by Admiral_Kolchak »

Admiral_Kolchak

• Administrator
    • www.YaRussky.com
“Travels in Siberia” by Ian Frazier review
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 01:20:41 AM »
Sounds interesting as long as he doesn't report only the odd and unusual. It is supposed to be more serious than funny ...
Travels in Siberia

Here is a tidbit from reviewer David Loftus in the Oregonian:

" Besides his own observations (the unique and characteristic smell of the country, the unbelievably disgusting bathrooms, the huge piles of trash on roadsides and beaches, swarms of fierce biting insects, the casual lies and exaggerations people tell him as well as their extreme warmth and helpfulness, clouds of coal smoke and other industrial haze over cities, stunningly beautiful women, the fact that Russians drive crazily and too fast but no one uses seat belts), Frazier provides a decent overview of Russian history.

Chattily, the author introduces us to Mongol chieftains, variousczars good and bad, the noble and doomed Decembrists (1825 namesakes of a noted Portland band), Pushkin, Tolstoy, "Dersu Uzala" (novel and movie), John Reed, Stalin and the prison camps, U.S. Lend-Lease aircraft flown in Russia during World War II, and the recent fortunes of mob bosses and oil magnates."

Travels in Siberia

http://www.oregonlive.com/books/index.ssf/2010/10/nonfiction_review_travels_in_s.html
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 01:25:25 AM by Admiral_Kolchak »

Admiral_Kolchak

• Administrator
    • www.YaRussky.com
“Travels in Siberia”
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 01:44:23 AM »
Some more notes about Ian Frazier's Travels in Siberia

http://sennaya.blogspot.com/2010/12/travels-in-siberia-by-ian-frazier.html

Sennaya.com | Forum